Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The time is almost here!


Seed planting time! Right now I am scouring catalogs looking forward to placing my order for assorted heirlooms and possibly anything that catches my fancy. I love this time of year, I have always needed to surround myself with plants and plant catalogs; as well as have my notebook in hand as I jot down all my plans for each years garden.

What will it be? Cherokee Purple Tomatoes, for sure! Amana Orange? Most definately!! And there is a long list of them I need to sort through. My biggest problem is not lack of choices but lack of space! So every year, at least until I get my farm; I will have to decide what is the best choices as far as flavor, yeild, and of course whatever most tickles my fancy.

Here is a few tomatoes I am considering:

Tomatoes:
•Rutgers
•Cherokee Purple
•Amana Orange
•Black Sea Man
•Brandywine
•Siletz
•Mortgage Lifter
•Mr. Stripey

I have lots more than tomatoes that I need to consider, pepper's for one; and herbs for another! One thing at a time!
The Cherokee Purple tomatoes were a hit last year at market. We had to fight for what we wanted to keep to eat on our own,  and what we sold at market. And Amana Oranges were another hit. These were larger than an orange, but were so beautiful. For a tomato, these things were huge, I would have to put these in another tub during harvesting to keep them from bruising the other less robust tomatoes. But As soon as people would see them as I was putting them out at market they would be gone. Again as far as flavor is concerned, these knocked others out of the park! We would slice them up and put them on chicken/avocado sandwiches, and use them for making bruchetta and much more. These were so good that you could eat these raw, with nothing else! They were that good!!!
Do any of you have a few favorite tomato's yourself you can't garden without? Share them here, so others can learn about them as well!!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, feel free to add a picture of the tomato' you love and even a favorite recipe for that tomato!!!! Alright now, go nuts!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... you've given me some good ideas for growing this year. The best tomatoes I've grown were the Rutgers last year. They were delicious and really prolific. I also like growing cherry tomatoes. If you can keep up with picking them so you don't lose them to splitting, the Sun Gold are the best I've found.

    I love to make a really simple tomato salad with fresh basil, olive oil and/or balsamic vinegar, a little bit of salt and pepper and either feta or fresh mozzarella cheese. I can eat that every day during tomato season. Perfect for when it's too hot to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds wonderful! I have never tried the sungold. But now you have me thinking! I have had Rutgers in the past, but this past year I didn't start any; and boy had I wished I had! Thanks for the sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete