Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Research, Orders, Pick-ups, and Planning



Ordering seeds, picking up seeds locally, and planning has been a big part of this week. All the information, and all the options. Not the most easiest decisions. But it can be exciting, as well as a little nerve wracking. What will people like? What will work in the spaces I got? Can I handle "finicky" plants?
I have a lot of doubts and fears about myself. I often feel like maybe I have taken on a little too much. And that little voice that creeps in and says" What are you doing' your not a farmer!". But deep inside I know, that I can do this; and I can be really good at it. It is just those doubts that can come along and take away what little confidence I may have mustered. But before I venture on to another subject. I thought in as much as I am sharing some of my doubts, I might as well share my confidence, or should I say my passions.

While growing up I lived not in the country but in town. Now I didn't pick up this farmer dream by narrow mindidly thinking to myself; hey I want to be a farm girl. Well not quite, but sorta.....HA! Here's the real story, I have family in Indiana. And when I was young, I would go to my Aunts house over the summer. She would let me feed the horses, brush them and let me help out around the farm. Now, I had the chance to get real dirty. There was plenty of things I could cruddy myself up with. Like going over to Gram's and raking out the chicken coop. Swimming in the pond. dirt-biking and atv riding on acres of trails to the river and among other things camping in the middle of a cornfield in the back of a truck. Now, there were many other things I could share but I am merely just chipping at the tip of an iceberg. My reason for sharing is, at least the best source of info I got for the subject is, I always enjoyed somewhat hard labor. Not the kind were you feel like hiding in a corner in the fetal position. Not the kind where you wake up and *gasp* Oh no I have to go to work today! Now there may be some of you who feel like this everyday. Really I am not bashing you, I actually had a job like this and thought these things day after day! But back to my story, I really think I want to be doing this kind of work because although hard at times ( most ) I find sweating under the sun almost relaxing. I feel liberated from the stress of monotony tasks and feel like I am once again where I belong. Does that make sense??? Another words I believe God "Hardwired Me" so to speak, to do and handle what I handle. So instead of resisting the crazy idea. Why not embrace it? Actually I could think of a million reasons why one might think I need to explore other avenues, and one day who's to say; I might. But for right now I am going to keep doing what I am doing until I get the unction from God to do different. And overall, I am happy he has me here. At times I wonder, sheash... sure would be nice to have some kids by now. But in as much as I may want, what I want. And I may want to be at some other time in my life I truly believe, beyond a shadow of doubt that I am were I am and God is not going to give up one me. Because he is a father. And I will finally allow him to take on that title.

Phillipians 1 : 6

And I am convinced and sure of this very thing, that He Who began a good work in you will continue until the day of Jesus Christ [right up to the time of His return], developing [that good work] and perfecting and bringing it to full completion in you.

2 comments:

  1. You're capable of so much, Ashley. I'm really proud of all you've accomplished. You can do it!!!

    If you think you have your hands full, just imagine all that we're up to! The chickens are coming in May and probably around then the trees for our orchard too. We've been collecting seeds locally and will soon order the others that we couldn't find here. We've also priced out shelves and grow lights and are getting ready to begin!

    Hooray for us farm girls, whether we live in the country or in town.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, That is so exciting!!!!!!!! You are doing something that I'd love to be doing one day soon! What amazing progress you have been making at the farm. I would love to one day have some "Rock Hens". And your orchard sounds just lovely! Now you need to shoot me an e-mail of all your plans so I can follow along in your journey! I am so happy for you!!! Hearing of all your plans gives me goose bumps :)

    ReplyDelete